After Effects CC: Motion Tracking the Impossible | Adobe Creative Cloud [Accessed 14.5.17]
Looking at this video I was trying to figure out what software they use to create the scarring. Thinking of how I could replicate the same effect I decided to sculpt in Mudbox. When we shoot the footage of Megan we asked for her head model. This was so I could use the head mesh which will surely be similar to megan’s face shape and sculpt a scar and gashes within that.
Screenshot of video tutorial
So with the head mesh I began sculpting into Mudbox. I had never used a sculpting
software so I thought Mudbox was a good beginner’s step. The only problem was I began sculpting and got pretty far before Rhea let me know I needed to UV map the model first. So I started again!
With the second attempt I UV mapped the model I went back into Mudbox with much more confidence. For reference into creating the scar I looked at many pictures of zombies with bubbly flesh and severe wounds. Thinking about the wound I wanted to colour so It would look infected as if the protagonist was unable to get treatment for the wound due to apocalyptic circumstances. I have to say I really like how the sculpt turned out. One problem: The uv map was scaled to the full size. This meant my work wasn’t portioned when the normal map went on so I had to start again!!!
2nd Attempt at scar
With a third attempt down I sculpted, painted and successfully this time added a normal map. So the next part was compositing and tracking the model. I had first animated in Maya the scar so it fit whenn placed into After effects. However it was all over the show. So I rendered a still instead. Concerning the black background I am able to remove that in after effects, also the black helps me give an indication as to how well the track is doing.
With the track in Mocha, I thought of the most contrasting areas that are on show from start to finish in the video. I found the eyebrow had little movement and was contrasting enough. I also tracked other areas that I thought had little movement. The track itself in Mocha track the footage well and I thought when exporting to After Effects we would have little issues.
First track in Mocha
However it went wrong. Will explain but first want to show other tracks I did in desperation to make this work. I tried tracking the wall,her whole face, her hair. Any feature I could in the hope the track would export well.
However the problem was then copying the information onto a null object it went haywire and I couldn’t get the scar to line up the face. At one point during the zoom out it went in completely the other direction. As you can tell I am uploading this day before deadline so you can tell I was in a panic to get this done.
A floating scar
Lorna and me tried our best to get the track to export however we realised we needed a plan B. So lorna animated the scar onto Megan’s face, this may look like a fiddly and pain staking process however we didn’t have choice with lack of time and as we used a tripod, we just needed to make sure the scar lined up during the zoom out. I think Lorna did a good job lining up the scar.
Animating and adding masks to the scar.
Whilst she was lining up the scar I started created masks in behind the scar so that it blended with the colouration of Megan’s skin-tone. By creating bruising I think the scar looked more apart of the face. However what I will say with more time I think I would have perfected it a lot more to get a more integrated look.
I know the scar doesn’t look completely apart of megan’s face but it’ll be a lesson for the next time. If someone can tell me how the heck to export a track properly in Mocha that would also be helpful.